The personal blog of Vernon Swanepoel
My name is Vernon Swanepoel. Sandcurves, my website, is purely personal. I live in Namibia. I work in tourism for a great company called Ultimate Safaris, running upmarket tours in Namibia. We run some of the best guided safaris.
I train tour guides for a living at Ultimate Safaris, a job I'm really passionate about.
I'll post various things that interest me here, and so I guess you'd probably like to know what that stuff might be.
I presonally learn so much online, in all sorts of areas of my life. I always appreciate that this stuff is all there, online. So, the main idea for the blog part of the website is simply to put stuff out there in a sort of tutorial format.
I have a range of interestes, and so the content might be a bit strange to follow, but I'm sure there will be some of you for whom my personal blend of nerd-ness is useful or interesting.
What I might blog about:
- The awesome Python programming language
- Django. My website is built with Django, and it's just a really cool bit of software to play around with.
- Arch Linux. I'm a big Linux and free software fan. I'm certainly not a purest, (I have a Mac at the moment, and I use Windows at work. But I'm a big fan of Arch Linux. You get a machine running only what you put on it, clean and fast.
- I'm a birder. I'm a bird club member.
- Ecology. I have somewhat of an interest in science, and certain aspects of ecology is of special interest.
- I'm a bit of a science nut, and so there may be some science or math here and there. I haven't really merged my interest in scienc and my interest in programming, but with all the cool science tools in Python, that's certainly something I plan to explore in the near future.
- Teaching and learning. I teach people in various ways. My day job is as a guide trainer. I'm also really interested in teaching Python and Django and hope to teach that more. And, finally, my blog itself is all about teaching, and so sometimes I might blog about bit of a 'meta' post. Much of what I'll write about will be what I'm learning at the time. So, consider the contents my notes, rather than an exprert's opinion.
- Goal setting and productivity. I'm a big Getting Things Done fan, and so that kind of stuff will show up here and there.
- I love blogging, I've blogged in various places over the years. However, I think that blogging about blogging is a space that's a little over covered. So, I'll avoid it....well...I'll try.
- Maybe some parenting stuff.
- And other stuff.
I live in Windhoek with my wife and two boys.